Mexico City, Mexico

From Nov. 11-20, I was in Mexico City, first for the World Cancer Leaders' Summit, one of UICC's convening events, and then for a long weekend of holiday with my mother, who flew down from Austin. 

There are, admittedly, few quality photos from the first half of this trip. In a nutshell, it was three days of manic madness. On the 'pre' day of Summit, I was happy to host our first two focus groups for our upcoming advocacy campaign, Treatment for All, with members from around the world, including Nigeria, Uganda, Israel, India, the United States, Costa Rica, Panama, El Salvador, Peru, and Brazil. Amusedly, my second focus group was facilitated between me and an entirely Spanish speaking group, with a translator paid to sit behind me and directly translate every response for 90 minutes. Just the latest in a stream of moments where I wish so badly for multiple languages. Needless to say, I am sanguine about Treatment for All and what it could mean for the cancer community if it is successful, but more on that later.

This year's Summit theme was on 'Cities Driving Change' so the focus was on local action and leadership to improve cancer prevention and control, from setting the example in HPV vaccination for girls or mandated tobacco control to improved access to medicines and technologies, including radiotherapy and surgery. Again, I'll bookmark this for more details in perhaps a post of its own. 

As work events came to an end, with thank you notes sent and report writing done, my mother arrived. We had a lovely dinner out with a group of colleagues, including my mother's first visit to a pub to drink draft beer, and managed to fight fatigue until well beyond 1am. Bravo, madre! The second day was spent at Frida Kahlo's Casa Azul and the surrounding Coyoacan area. This day was finally cut short by sleeplessness catching up. The next day, we split our time between Roma, Condesa, the Historical Centre and Polanco. Mom was elated we got well over her 10,000 steps that day. (Side note: Uber is incredible in Mexico for jumping from point to point if you can handle the traffic.) We were up well before the sun to go to the 'Pyramid' of the Sun, Teotihuacan, the next morning. This climb was followed by a handful of shots of Mexican tequila and mezcal, and then an afternoon trip to the Bazaar Sabado. Finally, mom's last full day was spent at the Chapultepec Park, both at the anthropology museum and museum of modern art. We shared an incredible last meal together at Lardo and she left early the next morning. I spent that final day roaming Condesa again and reading for a bit (ahem, and visiting bookstores). 

I have barely recovered from the jet lag, but leave once again for joint work-leisure travel this Thursday. In the meantime, here are a few shots from Mexico City adventures...