These things No. 15
This past week has been incredibly tough, and I find myself moving in a loop between tears, anger, powerlessness and uncertainty. Are we headed for a new kind of civil war? What action can we take to see real impact? And how do I support the people that are being targeted with such hate, racism and violence, recognizing that I am not the one most exposed - today and for as long as this hate exists, and is permitted, in America and the White House.
At a minimum, I am trying to stay informed. So, in most of this list, I share with you different videos, articles and illustrations that have shed light on different elements of what happened last weekend in Charlottesville, and the response since, plus a few other looks into the American divide.
- This 20-minute segment by Vice is painful to watch, but an important and terrifying perspective on what happened last weekend.
- Eight ways to help after Charlottesville
- Creating safe spaces
- A reformed white nationalist speaks out on Charlottesville
- Stay woke
- More ideas on how to take action following Charlottesville
- Showing up for racial justice - Charlottesville
- Secrets of Silicon Valley - This mini-series broke my brain, but shows again the fractures in America and abroad
- Check out the documentary They Call Us Monsters
- A reminder to read Hillbilly Elegy
- On the light side, a version of this week's horoscopes.